Professional Masters in Geo-information Production and ManagementDownload PDF version
The academic programme shall be referred to as Professional Masters(PM) in Geoinformation Production and Management and shall be offered in three (3) semesters. The programme is hosted in the Department of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing.
The Available Options/Specialization;
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Photogrammetry and remote sensing
- Cartography and Geovisualisation
- Environmental management
- Urban management and land information system
- Security and Disaster managment
- Tourism and Recreation Planning
- Health and disease surveillance
Programme PhilosophyThe Professional Master Degree programme in Geoinformation Production and Management is designed to train highly skilled manpower in the techniques and technology of geospatial information. The Programme is designed to extend the geoinformation skills to professionals in academic, public services and the private sectors.
ObjectivesThe objectives of the Professional Masters (PM) Course is to achieve competences in:
» the use of integrated geo-information production technology (data acquisition, information extraction, information presentation, databases and spatial information systems).
» the operational management of geo-information production systems (design, planning, execution and quality control).
» the evaluation of data sources, production systems and products/services performances
» the application of geo-information science to diverse areas such as environment, agriculture and forestry, natural resources, etc.
Upon completion of the course, participants should be able to:
» Contribute to the design and implementation of geo-information production systems and quality control systems in the following areas:
- design and use of integrated geo-information production systems for selected applications;
- analysis of information requirements and definition of products/services and system specifications;
- evaluation of data sources, production systems and products/services performances;
- identification of production constraints;
- design and implementation of quality assurance/control systems.
» Manage geoinformation production systems and be able to:
- communicate with users;
- plan, direct and control geoinformation production systems;
- cost products and services;
- report on results.
Justification for the Programme
The fields of Geoinformation science and technologies are rapidly expanding and embrace many sectors of the economy including science, arts and humanities. The users of geoinformation products are also expanding and cover all fields of specialization.
Proper understanding of the availability and distribution of resources can be achieved through Geoinformation science and technology thus enhancing the exploitation of these resources for the economic benefit of the Africa’s citizens.
On the other hand, natural and man-induced disasters like earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, landslides and tsunamis have been known to wreak havoc on human habitation, particularly in Africa where there is paucity of knowledge in strategies for their management. Therefore, an understanding of such occurrences and their spatial distribution will enable their proper.
Therefore, developing skills in Geoinformation technologies and production and management is very critical to Africa’s developments.
To be eligible for admission into the Professional Masters (PM) programme, applicants
- a good honours Degree from a recognised university or institution in cognate disciplines such as Engineering, Geosciences, Environmental Sciences, Social Sciences, Humanities and Law
- RECTAS’s Technologist Diploma with very good grade (i.e 70 % average) or Higher National Diploma (HND) with a minimum of Upper credit in cognate disciplines such as Engineering, Geosciences, Environmental Sciences, Social Sciences, Humanities and Law.
- In addition, candidates are expected to posses 5 credits passes at GCE/OL or equivalent including English Language and Mathematics.
CostThe following fees are payable for the PM programme:
|Items||Cost ($)||Cost (#)|
The programme is Full Time, of the duration is 3 Semesters (12 months).
To be eligible for the award of PM degree, students must have:
- a minimum of 50 % pass in all courses and satisfactory pass in General study courses;
- must have accumulated at least 45 course units;
- successfully passed two seminars;
- successfully completed and defended a research project in an oral examination
- fulfilled all other conditions as prescribed by the Academic Board
|Professional Masters in Geoinformation Production and Management|
|Course Codes||Course Title|
|PRS 611||Principles of Remote sensing|
|GIS 611||Principles of Geographic Information Science|
|GIS 612||Principles of Spatial Databases|
|CAR 611||Principles of Cartography|
|PRS 612||Principles of Remote Sensing|
|GIS 614||Software System and Applications|
|PRS 621||Digital Image Processing|
|GIS 622||Research Methodology|
|PRS 622||Data Acquisition for Mapping|
|CAR 621||Digital cartographic Production|
|GIS 623||Geodata Analysis and modeling|
|PRS 623||Introduction to Geodesy|
|PRS 624||Final Research Project|